Public Relations Commentary

Increasingly, public relations pracititioners have to know not only how to write for the Web, but also how to manage and respond to blog postings. This blog was created to use in my public relations courses to help my students prepare to blog and learn how to respond to others in a virtual yet professional manner.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Repositioning Fundraising, Appendix

I am always trying to tie in what I learn in my non-profit classes to my higher education major. Our buzz word is "milennials". This term was used in one of our previously assigned articles (yay!), and refers to students born in the mid to late 1980s (as we have not begun admitting students born in the 1990's just yet, and we haven't come up with a new category of students just yet either). We actually briefly discussed this group of students in last week's class, although not specifically by name. We in higher ed also use the terms "gen x'ers" and "baby boomers" to describe the changes in student populations. In reference to the Repositioning Fundraising article - based on the Appendix - this "milennial" generation would be reflected in the "Generation Net" market, which is a term I've never heard before.
I love when these connections can be made across disciplines! In taking the various non-profit courses, I am fascinated at how much strategic marketing, advertising, and public relations efforts go in to the monumentally important and often difficult task of fundraising for non-profits. And it's also amazing to me how similarly to for-profits that non-profits must now behave, on account of competition amongst similar types of non-profits, the psychographic changes in our society from generation to generation, etc. I'm a nerd, I know ;) But I notice a bit of a contradiction, or hypocrisy if you will. The same tactics that non-profits use in their fundraising (and therefore marketing, advertising, and public relations) efforts, though borrowed from the for-profit world, are criticized when used in the for-profit world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home