Public Relations Commentary

Increasingly, public relations pracititioners have to know not only how to write for the Web, but also how to manage and respond to blog postings. This blog was created to use in my public relations courses to help my students prepare to blog and learn how to respond to others in a virtual yet professional manner.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Improper" funding at the Smithsonian?

So I was reading some news coverage of nonprofits prepping for my Philanthropy course, and I came across this gem from the Los Angeles Times on the Op-Ed pages. The Smithsonian Museums in DC operate need an estimated $2.3 billion for renovations, terrorism protection, and regular maintenance. So, facing that amount, isn't it only logical to turn to corporate America for help? If they're giving money away anyway for community relations efforts, why not help preserve a piece of the country's history?

Is it really a question of ethical fundraising at the Smithsonian or the author's misunderstanding of the organization's operations and how sponsorships work?

Would you rather go with a proposal made by Rep. James Moran (D-Va)'s suggestion of a $1 admission fee for each of the museums? I'm not so sure I'd pay $1 to go to the Post Office Museum, but now to see Mr. Rodger's sweater....

2 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger Richard said…

    Let me play devil's advocate here, but GM is a for-profit entity whose mission ultimately is to make money for its shareholders. A donation of 10 million is pretty hefty, especially since your investors are the people paying for it.

    With that in mind, isn't it only fair to expect GM to try to get as much out of the sponsorship as it can? Giving GM the naming rights and control over the exhibits is a lot, but I don't think GM is to blame here. The Smithsonian should've played a little hard ball in the negotiations. GM certainly isn't the only automaker who could've expressed an interest in sponsoring the museum.

    Reaching out to the nonprofit sector at large, you say that donors shoudln't be allowed to set restrictions on their gifts in regard to museums. Do you think that holds true for other types of nonprofits as well?

    I regularly give to the University of Georgia, and I make sure that my donation is directed to one of two entities on campus each year: the department of public relations and advertising OR the preservation of a particular garden on campus. Do you think the University shold tell me that donations are needed elsewhere? Or, even worse, do you think the University should route my donation to any project it deems necessary without my permission?

     
  • At 5:56 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Richard said…

    Again, playing devil's advocate here... Do you blame GM, or any other donor really?

    Ultimately, corporate sponsorships, foundation grants, and even my own donation to UGA is centered on one thing: the entity's own self-interest. For GM, it was promoting their products and name. For me at UGA, I donate to make sure the department stays as one of the top programs in the country--that's going to ultimately influence how people perceive my degree.

    Did GM take advantage of the Smithsonian? possibly. Was the Smithsonian just conducting operatiosn poorly? possibly. A combination of both? likely--but who's to say where to draw the line.


    One other question that I'd be curious to get some responses on... the Smithsonian has always been free to visit, what do you think would happen if they started charging $1 admission per museum as was proposed in the House of Representatives?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home