Public Relations Commentary

Increasingly, public relations pracititioners have to know not only how to write for the Web, but also how to manage and respond to blog postings. This blog was created to use in my public relations courses to help my students prepare to blog and learn how to respond to others in a virtual yet professional manner.

Monday, November 27, 2006

"Mandatory Volunteerism"

Clary and Snyder discuss the idea of “mandatory volunteerism” as a short-term solution with potential long-term consequences. “Although requiring people, particularly young people, to engage in community service may have desirable effects (e.g., increasing actual participation in the present), mandating ‘volunteerism’ may prove counterproductive in the long run,” (pg 158). The authors refer to a study in which college students were mandated to complete 40 hours of volunteer work within a semester, with special attention paid to students’ intentions to volunteer in the future. Clary and Snyder found that with increases in external pressure to ‘volunteer’ come decreases in internal motivation to volunteer. “Certainly, immediate volunteering can be induced by requiring students to serve, but it seems that future choices to volunteer will be less likely if the initial experience is accompanied by perceptions of external control,” (p. 159).

I want to open this topic of “mandatory volunteerism” to the class. I know that as a high school senior, I was required to complete 40 hours of community service per semester in order to graduate from the IB program, and I’m certain that many of you had similar experiences. Those of us in our early to late 20s were part of a broader initiative to socialize us into volunteerism (don't remember Clean the Beach field trips in elementary school?). Do you think it worked? Did this “mandatory volunteerism”, either for school requirements or competitive college applications, deter or promote private volunteerism later on?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:28 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Evelyn said…

    In my country we didn’t have to do the “mandatory volunteerism” for high school, elementary school or college. I went to the public education system in Costa Rica and we did not have that requirement. I do remember that while I was in high school, my classmates and I had to create a volunteerism project to help a nonprofit in my town. We did research about the different places that helped poor people like for example orphanages, retirement homes, soup kitchens, etc. We finally came up with a project for an orphanage near my home where with the money that the school gave us we made a Christmas party for the kids. I think that the experience of doing research about the different organizations helped us tremendously (at that age) to acknowledged the fact that in my town there were so many causes to work for. I think that my teacher continued the project for one or two more years. This is not a normal practice that high school teachers have in schools in Costa Rica, this was a project that my teacher wanted to do for us just to learn about the huge need that exists in my town.

     
  • At 12:44 AM, November 28, 2006, Blogger Paul Jonas said…

    When I was in NHS and Boy Scouts, I had to do mandatory volunteerism. TO be perfectly honest, for me it calls into question why people volunteer in the first place.

    For me it was never an intrinsic urge to volunteer. As I look back I had always done volunteer work to get something more than just the good feeling of helping people.

    NHS felt mandatory and I absolutely hated it (dropped out my sr. year). The only reason I did any of it the year before was because I wanted it to get into college.

    BSA was similar, but only to get the distinction of Eagle Scout. It sounds horrible, but the "good feeling" hasn't been good enough, and I haven't done much volunteer work since.

    Whether it is because I felt forced to or externally motivated to do so, I'm not sure.

    Today, I have changed a bit and I am more inclined to volunteer my time. I think it has more to do with the amount of time I am spending working with and discussing organizations that often rely on volunteers. Now that I see their contribution to society, I am more intrinsically inclined than I was as a younger lad in high school.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, January 14, 2008, Blogger abwilli3 said…

    For my undergraduate degree in parks, recreation and tourism management, we were required to do various amounts of community service for several classes. The volunteer activities gave us hands on experience to get out into the field to find our niche. This volunteer work is not only internally rewarding, but helps to boost your resume. Volunteering is an opportunity to network and meet people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home