Public Relations Commentary

Increasingly, public relations pracititioners have to know not only how to write for the Web, but also how to manage and respond to blog postings. This blog was created to use in my public relations courses to help my students prepare to blog and learn how to respond to others in a virtual yet professional manner.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Want To Use Your Car To Promote Affordable Housing?



Gov. Bush and the Cabinet approved four new specialty license plates, according to an article in today's Gainesville Sun. One of them promotes affordable housing -- proceeds from the sale of the license plate will go to support affordable housing programs across Florida. Interesting timing considering our topic for this week. The Florida Association of Realtors sponsored a contest to find the design for the plate. The winner, Melissa Bourke, received $1,000. Don't mind me, but shouldn't she donate this money to an affordable housing program?! This makes me laugh. I suppose that if there wasn't an incentive to enter designs, no one would respond would they? Oh, the irony.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:24 AM, October 05, 2006, Blogger Richard said…

    I will say that this license plate certainly looks much better than the silly one with the manatee in some sort of hovering position between the letters.

    I think its a good idea to offer these special nonprofit-oriented license plates, though the money the organizations get really isn't that much.

    I went with a friend to get her license plate the other week at the tag office on Archer Road. It's amazing how many tags are available--though some I've never seen before (e.g., Miami Heat, some bang-bang shoot the wildlife organization).

    I agree that the winner probably should donate the $1,000 to an affordable housing program--but I think the real question is do you think she's going to pay the extra money to get the tag she designed?

     
  • At 8:55 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger Richard said…

    Ha. Yah, I'm not sure I remember seeing that floorplan in the Habitat guide...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home